Administering DNS and DHCP is a vital but potentially time-consuming process in providing secure and reliable internet access in schools. By integrating this essential function EDUGATEBOX has made things quick and easy for schools, enabling effective control and protection of all users and their devices.
Easy DNS & DHCP
Handle DNS queries locally
Relying on off-site DNS (Domain Name Service) services has many, potentially serious disadvantages:
- Answers to queries take longer without a local DNS cache (also known as a recursive resolver), introducing web latency that slows down access to online content – especially on the VSAT connections commonly used in remote locations
- Free DNS services, such as OpenDNS or Google DNS, limit the maximum number of queries, leaving schools without service if they go over their allowance
- DNS is vulnerable to security threats and though new security threats are routinely reported, free DNS services cannot verify spoofed responses
- Service is unsupported – if any issues occur, schools won’t be able to solve them
Having a DNS cache integrated within EDUGATEBOX not only saves money compared to a dedicated solution, it provides:
- Uncomplicated administration of a complex issue
- High visibility of useful DNS data
- Essential control, enabling website filtering and enforcing DNS blacklists
- Enhanced security that protects against intrusion and attacks
- Instant relief from latency issues
- Robust architecture with in-built redundancy
DHCP for easy multi-device connection
Every device on a network needs a unique IP address in order to access the internet. DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) automates the assigning of IP addresses, removing the need for manual preconfiguration of each and every device.
By incorporating DHCP, EDUGATEBOX provides simple management of multiple users and multiple devices on a wireless network. This makes it very easy for schools to run various e-learning schemes, such as Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), fully enabling 1:1 learning in the classroom. Schools can also easily provide controlled access for off-site visitors.
- Requires no in-depth configuration expertise
- Simplifies day-to-day administration
- Sidesteps a very time-consuming & error-likely process
- Provides immediate visibility and control of IP usage enabling effective planning
- Delivers a high level of network resilience and availability
EDUGATEBOX has been specifically designed to allow its integrated functions to be switched-off independently. This enables schools to easily add dedicated appliances for future services as their needs evolve and become more complicated.