A DDI management solution will make administration of your network’s names and numbers – planning IP address usage, running DNS and DHCP services – easier. Much easier. You will:
- Radically simplify the work involved, saving time, saving money
- Increase control over the data involved, the processing of that data by the people involved and the effective running of the services the data affects
- Protect these core services from high-impact security threats and service failures
For many organisations, administering DNS, DHCP and IP Address Management (DDI) is challenging. When ApplianSys entered the DDI market with DNSBOX in 2002, the workload was already a) large and time-consuming and b) complex and difficult.
Since then, networks have grown many times over and the complexity has increased. The headache for network managers has got much worse…
Standard tools have poorly designed workflows making it unnecessarily difficult
- There is a lot to learn and know about configuring DNS/DHCP services. Administrators must remember the correct format/data for entry, as well as be familiar with complex protocols.
- Working with a command line increases the level of difficulty and learning required.
- Editing of DDI data seems designed to make your life difficult and create extra work!
- There are lots of repetitive steps and copying & pasting from one system to another.
- There is much to get right, both at the level of syntax – typing the right characters – and network logic – entering the right values and remembering the right steps
- With so much to remember, the chances of making a mistake are high.
- There are multiple connected servers to manage – both maintaining each server and controlling the linkages between them. Standard tools don’t make this easy.
Risks are high and so is the business impact if something does go wrong
- Mistakes have two potentially high costs:
- Even a single character wrong can mean a DNS or DHCP service fails, which means the network fails and could mean a big business problem
- Once there’s a problem, finding a mistake is often not easy and takes a lot of time
- DDI services are top security targets. To protect against attacks like DoS and cache poisoning is a complex task with many aspects to take care of.
- A server failure can also lead to disaster. So reliability and redundancy are key headaches.
The difficulty of the work leads to people issues
- Your more experienced staff are needed, keeping them from more value-added work.
- Delegating even the easier tasks to junior staff is hard to do with standard tools.
- You become dependent on in-house experts. When they move on, you have a problem.
- In most larger networks, the workload is likely to be shared, maybe across different teams and different places – and fragmented – with several tools, not one system. Sharing creates extra effort of coordination, and can even lead to conflict between people or departments.
An integrated DDI solution like DNSBOX deals with these headaches and makes your life easier.