Many service providers use DHCP to dynamically assign addresses to customer routers. It’s a business-critical service that comes with its own set of headaches:
- Initial DHCP setup requires in-depth configuration expertise and detailed knowledge
- Updating DHCP configurations is time-consuming & error prone, particularly for organisations with complex provisioning requirements. A single misconfiguration could bring down your network.
- Information about which addresses are in use and the remaining available address space can be difficult to obtain or unclear. Without visibility, it’s impossible to plan and control your IP address space effectively.
- There is no historical insight on IP leases or finding relevant information takes hours
- Server maintenance tasks such as updating software generally requires rebooting the server, and impact any time-critical applications that rely on DHCP
- Updating software can break existing configurations files. Fixing the fault is by trial-and-error and can take a long time.
- In split-scope networks, multiple DHCP servers share the same data in different databases making the service vulnerable and difficult to manage due to updates regarding each server’s view of the network
- Configuring a reliable failover mechanism is really difficult. But without failover, DHCP server failure leads to network downtime and time-consuming data retrieval.
For those with complex provisioning requirements, manually administering DHCP creates a heavy workload and a dedicated DHCP appliance can help:
- simplify or automate initial configuration and day-to-day administration
- provide a high level of resilience and availability
- improve performance with an optimised hardware / software combination
- improve visibility & control of IP address usage
- integrate with billing systems through APIs
Handling DHCP within an integrated DDI solution like DNSBOX will keep workload to a minimum and ensure consistency of data between DNS, DHCP and IPAM.
Just need DHCP? We’ve perfected the dedicated DHCP server
User feedback has always rated the DNSBOX DHCP solution highly. With increasing need for stand-alone DHCP, in 2021 we decided to re-build it from the ground up, to build indisputably the world’s best DHCP server. Informed by expert customer insight every step of the way, that’s what we’ve done.
|Learn about ApplianSys standalone DHCP Server|