Some people just want to fix a DHCP headache. They find standard Microsoft or ISC DHCPd implementations unsatisfactory:
- Ensuring a reliable, highly available service by implementing DHCP failover is either difficult or impossible, depending on which tool you are using
- This is the #1 issue in enterprises managing networks of PCs, notebooks, and IP phones
- For others, the key issue is performance, needing to handle large numbers of DHCP leases
- As BYOD schemes and IP phones scale the numbers of devices connecting dynamically, it is increasingly an issue for larger enterprises
- The difficulty of deploying and administering DHCP can be a further reason why you are looking for something better
DDI appliances in general help solve DHCP problems. If you are just focused on DHCP and need a high availability or high performance solution, then ones like DNSBOX – which include purpose-built solutions dedicated to DHCP – are ideal.