Are you an experienced support engineer?
Do you enjoy being recognised as an expert and a true professional?
Do you enjoy being a technical leader?
Do you have the technical savvy of a geek and the people skills of a diplomat?
Do you enjoy performing in front of customers and solving their problems?
ApplianSys engineers are already supporting customers in over 100 countries – many in the developing world – building and improving their networks: whether it’s the first 3G operation in Thailand, the nation’s schools in Mauritius or rural school districts in the US, ISPs delivering more bandwidth across Africa or rolling out Wimax in Mexico, or helping Australia’s largest bank or Brunei’s largest telco save time and money deploying their next generation networks.
We’re now looking for a highly organised team leader to further managerial/leadership skills in the support team.
If you are looking for a senior engineer role which combines real challenge and job satisfaction with serious career advancement, ApplianSys could be the place for you.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Pre-sales support delivering technical product expertise to account managers, wherever it is needed, and helping to maximise the chances of sales success
- Resolving customer issues across all levels of support
- Advanced post-sales technical support – offering 3rd line support and being the technical expert for resolving the most difficult customer problems. You will typically be able to architect solutions, fulfil implementation consultancy and consulting roles and making a lead contribution to technical documentation.
- Also offering competent 2nd and 1st line support resolving more customer problems
- Team leadership
- Ensure the support team is effectively organised, using the management tools available
- lead the team to develop its thinking on how to improve, and in implementing change, encouraging full contributions from all team members.
What we’re looking for
Engineers who carry real authority with customers, based on fluent command of networking combined with excellent customer-facing skills.
The ideal candidate will have experience as a sales support engineer and a degree (at least 2:1) in a specialist networks-related discipline or in a more general computer science type course with a significant amount of content dealing with network and internet technologies.
You must have excellent technical and interpersonal skills in equal measure.
It is essential that you are/have:
- Training in computer science or similar, including specific study of network and Internet technologies
- Fluent networking expertise as a result of experience with a wide range of real-world networks, including ideally significant exposure to Cisco routers and switches.
- Previous experience as a support engineer, ideally in pre-sales (sales engineer) role, possibly with network integration or system integration company
- Exposure to and ideally expert in specific Internet infrastructure technologies. In particular – DNS, DHCP, IPAM (ideally experience with DDI appliances) and web caching (ideally with Squid).
- Fluency with Linux (preferred) or other Unix. Fluency with command-line tools for day-to-day tasks, managing files and machines, carrying out diagnostic work, configuring services such as SSH, OpenVPN, BIND, Samba…
- Knowledge of Windows Server and VMWare administration
- Solid experience of scripting (particularly Bash and Python)
- Good communicator, with well-developed ability to work in a pressurised customer-facing environment and maintain high levels of professionalism. Able to present complex information in a structured manner, to establish good rapport over the telephone and to handle probing technical questions in a measured and positive manner.
- Management/leadership in a technical/engineering environment, particularly within support
- Strong co-ordinator with exceptional organisation, monitoring and controlling skills
- Commitment and determination to drive improvement opportunities
- Ability to handle complex problems and develop sound solutions collaboratively
- Languages and international experience a distinct advantage
- Thorough, organized, comfortable in a multi-tasking environment. Cope under stress and work to tight deadlines. Must have good customer focus or have the appropriate personality to develop it rapidly with suitable guidance.
- Self-starter: able to interpret outlined tasks and develop detailed approach to implementation on own initiative. With good judgment to seek advice or approval at the appropriate times prior to implementation.
You will have a significant advantage if you are/have:
- Experience with rack mount servers and especially server appliances
- Knowledge of Cisco router configuration and WCCP
- Test suite management experience.
- Solid hardware knowledge
- Experience with VoIP networks
If you believe that you have got what it takes, then send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Positions are based in Coventry UK unless stated.